The Civil Engineer will report to the Professional Engineering Manager. The Civil Engineer is responsible for preparing code-compliant structural calculations, specifications, and details to support the design and permitting of solar photovoltaic systems for SolarCity’s residential design team. Projects include qualifying buildings for roof-top PV systems and designing foundations for ground-mount systems. The position relies heavily on experience with residential roof framing systems, including structural engineering concepts and calculations as well as field experience. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented yet able to manage a large volume of work while meeting deadlines. Excellent communication is essential.
• Prepare wind and seismic calculations, and certify mounting hardware.
• Prepare calculations to qualify existing or new buildings for roof-top PV systems, and design and specify upgrades when necessary.
• Use AutoCAD 2D software and custom software tools to prepare structural details and specifications for residential framing upgrades and ground-mount foundations.
• Direct and review the work of EITs, and sign and seal their finished work.
• Work cross functionally with other teams within and outside the engineering department to ensure clients’ needs and internal deadlines are met.
• Perform additional duties as assigned and/or directed.
• Appropriate liscensure related to your region required as a Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering.
• NCEES record
• Three (3) to five (5) years of experience with residential structural engineering; preferably in a small to mid-size firm.
• Field experience with structural observation / special inspections.
• At least one (1) year of AutoCAD experience.
• Proficiency with wood, concrete, and steel, and associated material standards.
• BS in civil engineering or architectural engineering, or other related discipline from a top-tier college or university.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
• Experience with light commercial structural engineering.
• Experience with trusses preferred.
• NCEES record preferred.
SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners, businesses, schools, non-profits and government organizations at a lower cost than they pay for energy generated by burning fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas. Our approach is to install systems to the highest engineering standards while making the switch simple for our customers. We've revolutionized the way energy is delivered by giving customers a cleaner, more affordable alternative to their monthly utility bill. The U.S. Department of Energy named SolarCity a Green Power Supplier of the Year in 2010, and Fast Company Magazine called it one of the 50 most innovative companies in the world in 2011. SolarCity serves customers in 14 states including Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, Washington D.C. Washington, D.C.
For more information visit www.solarcity.com.
SolarCity is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the work place.