This position primarily involves designing code-compliant solar photovoltaic systems for commercial clients throughout the US. As Solarcity transitions from a centralized engineering approach to a hybrid centralized/regional approach, there is an increasing need to hire designers at the local level to concentrate on local jobs and interface with the commercial operations team in the region on a daily basis. Solarcity audits and drafts existing conditions for all commercial jobs, so the senior design position would start with PV system layout and progress through to a complete design using primarily AutoCAD as a design tool with significant support provided in the areas of design standards, blocks, electrical design tools, production modeling software, etc.
• Use AutoCAD 2D software and custom software tools to design COMMERCIAL photovoltaic ground mount, carport, and roof top systems
• Work with project managers to submit plans and drawings to building departments
• Track permitting process through approval
• Work cross functionally with sales, project management and installation teams to ensure clients’ needs and internal deadlines are met.
• Perform additional duties as assigned and/or directed
• A minimum of 1 year of COMMERCIAL solar photovoltaic design experience REQUIRED
• Minimum 3 years of AutoCAD experience preferred
• Experience reading and understanding architectural plans and schematics.
• Experience permitting commercial PV systems
• Solar / Construction background
• Working knowledge of 2008/2011 NEC
• Ability to communicate succinctly and clearly in a professional work environment
• B.S. in engineering or related technical field
• NABCEP PV Entry Level Certificate of Knowledge a plus
• Proficiency with MS Excel, Word required.
• A working understanding of three phase electrical systems
• UBC/IBC conversant (ability to understand structural terminology as it relates to construction materials and techniques)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
Los Angeles, CA
SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners, businesses, schools, non-profits and government organizations at a lower cost than they pay for energy generated by burning fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas. Our approach is to install systems to the highest engineering standards while making the switch simple for our customers. We've revolutionized the way energy is delivered by giving customers a cleaner, more affordable alternative to their monthly utility bill. The U.S. Department of Energy named SolarCity a Green Power Supplier of the Year in 2010, and Fast Company Magazine called it one of the 50 most innovative companies in the world in 2011. SolarCity serves customers in 14 states including Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, Washington D.C. Washington, D.C.
For more information visit www.solarcity.com.
SolarCity is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the work place.